When: Sunday beginning at noon. The end time is undetermined. It could be as early at 4:00 pm and as late at 7:00 pm. Please plan on staying the whole time – your work is important!
Parking: There’s a parking lot in the front of the building.
Bus: The 64 bus stops at Lafayette Road and University Avenue. Plan your trip here.
What to wear:
- Marit Brock Shirt! If you didn’t pick one up at Thursday’s Rally at Joseph’s Grill, you can get one at the convention. We’ll have them in the campaign room.
- Marit Brock Button! We’ll have those at the convention too if you don’t have one.
- Comfortable clothes and shoes.
What to expect:
The convention begins at Noon and can last up to a 4-5 hours. The Convention agenda states that the endorsement of the City Council candidates begins no later than 1:30pm. Because the Ward 2 seat is open and contested, the endorsement process could take 2-3 hours. As a supporter of Marit, there is a lot you can do to help earn her the nomination, this includes:
- Check in with your precinct captain, let them know you are there and ready to participate.
- Stay through the nomination process. Do not leave the convention early!
- Get to know the other delegates, especially those who are undecided or support other candidates. Share with them why you support Marit, her experience and credentials. Talking points for you to use are on the back of this page. Remember, we are a friendly campaign – want to gain supporters/votes if other candidates drop out.
- Do not yield in your support for Marit! You may have other candidates asking for your vote.
- Stay pumped up to let Marit know we support her!
The convention begins with a call to order and welcome ceremony, followed by the election of convention officers and the establishment of the convention rules and agenda. The first election is for delegates and alternate to the City Convention on Sunday, April 19. We encourage all delegates and alternates to participate in the City Convention. This convention features the DFL endorsement of School Board candidates.
Next is the reason why we are here: the endorsement of candidates for Ward 2 City Council! Here is what will take place:
- Nomination speeches by the candidates. Your precinct captain may ask you to come up on stage in support of Marit during her speech. Please be ready to gather prior to her time slot.
- Candidate Q&A. Candidates will be asked a series of prepared questions. This will last 30 minutes.
- Casting of ballots. Pieces of paper are distributed to all delegates in each precinct. Delegates are instructed to write the name of the candidate they choose for the endorsement and turn them in to the precinct chairs. Remember to sign your ballots. State Party rules require that delegates must sign their ballot, if it isn’t signed it won’t be counted. The ballots are turned into the tellers, who count the ballots and report the results. The balloting continues until one candidate receives 60% of the ballots and the nomination is awarded.
Food will be available for sale at the convention, a fundraiser for the Carpenter’s Retiree Council. You may also bring your own food on the convention floor in case you get hungry during the nomination process.
- Supporters for Marit are hosting a candy pot luck! Feel free to bring a bag of your favorite candy to share.
- Bring a water bottle to stay hydrated! Water will also be available in Marit’s campaign room.
Please post on Facebook or tweet your convention activities in support of Marit! Use the following monikers: